Tuesday, January 10, 2012

The Autograph Book

Back in the "olden days" autograph books were
very popular.
I have one that belonged to a relative
whose name was John Rime.
He was a "cousin" of my Grandpa Dahlager.

No one is really sure just how John Rime
was related - it is believed he was adopted
by Marit (Dahlager) and her husband,
Ole Rime. 
(prounounced Ree-ma)
Marit was my grandfather's aunt.

There was some speculation that John was
born illegitimately to another relative,
and another theory that since John was
a little "different" Marit and her husband
took him in as their own.

John Rime once claimed his real father
was Ole Bull (the Norwegian composer)
because John also played the violin,
just like Ole Bull
(well, not "just" like, but you get the picture)

John died at the State Hospital
in Fergus Falls.
My grandfather took care of the arrangements
since there was  no one else.
His personal items were given to my grandpa,
and my Aunt Esther gave me the
autograph book when I was working
on my genealogy.
I believe my brother Si has a trunk
that belonged to him.

Here are a couple of entries:

(Click to enlarge)
This autograph is dated February 27, 1889.
Notice the beautiful handwriting!

This one is from 1892.

The one below is a drawing my grandpa
contributed to the book in 1923.
The cover was a rust-colored velvet that has
lost its luster (in background)
The inside front page is still very nice.
Wonder why these days, no one
wants any autographs
unless it is from someone
rich and famous?

No comments: