Thursday, October 13, 2011

Great-great grandpa Ole Leikvold


Here is my Great-great Grandpa Ole Leikvold.
Now, doesn't he look like an old Norske!!

Ole Olson was born on September 12, 1830 on the Ode Farm
at Vang Valdres, Norway.
His parents were Ole Olson Ode and Sigri Knudsdatter Vik.

On March 28, 1853, Ole married
Kari Nilsdatter Svien.
They lived at Slidre, Vang Valdres, Norway.
My great-grandma was born on August 18, 1853,
which means they had their honeymoon
before the marriage!
(yes, it happened even in those days!)

Besides farming, Ole was a wood lathe operator
and carpenter.
He made fancy lefse rolling pins,
cupboards, benches,
chairs & spinning wheels.
One of the spinning wheels that he made was
for my great grandma Sigrid Dahlager.
Sigrid passed that spinning wheel down to
my grandma Elsie Dahlager,
and now my sister, Kathy, has it.
Ole & Kari were renters on the
Leikvollen farm from 1857-1869.
This is where the last name, Leikvold (Lakevold)
was taken from.

The family attened Slidredomen Kirke
in West Slidre.This church was organized in 1170.
The church was rebuilt  in the 1700's
and is still in use (shown above)

In 1869 my great-great grandpa, decided
to bring his family to America.
They arrived in Quebec on June 16, 1869.
From there, they headed to Iowa
and settled near Silver Lake in Worth County.

Ole & Kari had 8 children.
Their daughter, Sigrid was my
On December 10, 1916, my
great-great grandpa died at the age of 86.
He is buried at the Sunset Rest Cemetery
at Lake Mills, Iowa.

If you ever go to Northwood, Iowa,
be sure to visit the museum there.
It is filled with artifacts from my
great-great grandparents
and some of their children.

8 comments:

Unknown said...

I am so glad to have discovered your blog! Ole was an older brother to my great-grandfather and I have been trying to find a link to this branch of the family.

I would love to connect with you and share information!

Anonymous said...

I would be happy to share whatever I have concerning the Leikvold (Lakevold) family. Not sure how to get any information to you?

Anonymous said...

James - Did you also see the post from August, 2011? That tells about the trip from Norway to America.
-

Unknown said...

UFF DA! What a surprise to see my mom's ancestor gracing the pages of a blog. I am the grandson of Selma Amanda Dahlager Synstelien, and my mom, Dagny Idelle Synstelien, was born there in Dalton. So, greetings, kinswoman!

- Paul Zimmerli, Wichita Falls, Texas

Lolly said...

I have done quite a few posts of our relatives on this blog. I have not met your mother, but I am in touch with Margaret. I remember Amanda well. Nice to her from another relative!

tracy said...

hi - first time to come across your blig - loved the "uff da" comment! my grandmother always said uff da mata so made me laugh! i am descendant of Ole and Kari through son Ole (married Marie Holstad), their son Oscar (married Mabel Huse) and their son Harding (my father). my grandparents had 4 boys and my father is the last living son (turned 94 yesterday and can multiply faster in his head than me)! my email is dlovekalt (t lakevold backwards) @ gmail.com.

VintageO said...

Uff da is right. I'm a granddaughter of Amanda Synstelien, Bobby and Merrys daughter.

Lolly said...

VintageO - I remember Amanda!