Sunday, July 24, 2011

Great Uncle Mons

This is Rev. Mons Gjerde
He was my grandmother's brother
He doesns't look very cheerful in the picture,
but I am told that in "those days"
you were not supposed to smile for the camera!!

Mons was born in 1867 in Nordal, More og Romsdal, Norway.
He was the fourth born of nine children
born to Peter & Berte Gjerde.
When his mother died following complications of childbirth
His father married Inger Iversdatter Krohn.
They had three more children.

Mons immigrated to the United States as a young man,
settling in Wisconsin.
It was here that Mons realized God's love for us,
and dedicated his life to the service of God.
He moved to Minneapolis and attended Augsburg College
and was ordained as a Lutheran pastor.

In 1897, he married Christine Dahlager.
They were married at Sarpsorg Church near Dalton.

At their wedding, Christine's brother John
met Mons' sister Elsie.
They were married a year later.
[these were my grandparents]

Back in Norway, Mons' half-brother, Ivers,
was causing the family grief due to his lifestyle.
The family sent him to the United States
 to live with Mons & his wife,
hoping that Mons could "straighten him out."

Ivers stayed with them for a time, but then moved on.
He went west, to mine for gold,
and then they heard he was in Portland, Oregon.
The family never saw him again.
We can only wonder if Mons had a positive
influence on his life.

Mons pastored in Minot,North Dakota,
Washington State,Wisconsin, and South Dakota.
Mons & Christine had nine children.

On October 24, 1937, Mons had just finished his
Sunday sermon and announced the closing hymn.
He staggered into the sacristy and was then
taken to a nearby home.
He died that afternoon.

Mons and his wife had just made plans to retire
to the Dalton area, and had already made
arrangements to buy Rev. Elias Berlie's home.

Just three days before Mons died,
his brother-in-law, John Dahlager died.
Don't you think it's a bit ironic?
Remember, John was married to Mons' sister
and Mons was married to John's sister.

Mons is buried at the Sarpsborg Cemetery.
On his tombstone is the inscription:
"To live is Christ - to die is gain."


2 comments:

Synova said...

Lolly, I'd swear that one of Per Gustav Mattson's brothers also disappeared in Oregon never to be heard of again, after visiting family in Nebraska. At least I thought I remembered hearing something like that at the Matson family reunion a few years ago. I wonder if my Mom has the info, because I didn't get a copy.

Julie

Unknown said...

Hi I bumped into your blog while doing research for a video i am doing
for my children.
If you have any more info ( pictures or stories ) I would certainly
appreciate it.

Mons Peterson Gjerde was my Great Grandfather.
Christoffer Gjerde was my Grandfather Addie Johnson-Gjerde grandmother
My parents were Allon & Eunice Gjerde- Methvin
I am David P Methvin and am married to Janet Patridge- Methvin for 43 yrs.
We have 2 children Kevin Methvin & Dr.Sheila Methvin- Strauch
Thanks David Methvin dnjmethvin@att.net
Roseburg Oregon