Sunday, July 17, 2011

Anders, My Mysterious Ancestor

My great-great grandfather is somewhat of a mystery.
Anders was born on November 5,1820 in Norway.
His parents were Lars Pedersen and Anna Torkelsdatter.
On July 11, 1845 he married Berte Marie Hamborg.
They had eight children, including my grandmother, Mina.

The family lived in Toten, Oppland County, Norway.
Records of their children's baptisms & confirmations
were found in 2 different churches:  Hoff Kirke & Balke Kirke.

The photo below is of Hoff Kirke (Church)
Here is Balke Kirke
Balke kirke - Photo: Oda Hveem

In 1868, Anders left his family in Norway.
He sailed first to Quebec and then on to the United States.
His destination was listed as LaCrosse, MN.

A full 8+ years later (1877), my great-grandmother (Berte)
came to the United States with their two youngest daughters:
Olena [Lena] &  Ottilie [Tillie].
Their destination was Peterson, Minnesota,
as Anders was living there at that time.

Often the husband/father would come ahead of
his wife and children, and then send for his
family when he had saved enough money.
Most likely this is what happened here.
(My grandmother, Mina, did not come until 1885)

The 1880 census says that Anders was a laborer
living in Peterson, MN in the township of Rushford.

When my grandmother came to America,
her destination was LaCrosse, Wisconsin
so I must assume that is where her parents were at the time.

That is all the information I have on my great-grandfather.
The 1895 census states that my great-grandmother
was living with my grandparents, so I believe
that Anders had died prior to this.

I wonder what he was like?
He wasn't rich, but maybe he was good looking...
I hope he was a nice man...but of course he must have been, right?
I wonder if he ever owned a farm? 
Or was he employed by a farmer?
Was he musical?  Was he smart?
I may never know.

His daughter, my grandma, was a devout Christian,
so perhaps her faith was passed down from her parents.
I don't know when or where he died,
But I believe it is either near Peterson, MN
or LaCrosse, Wisconsin.
His wife died in 1898 and she is buried near
Silver Creek, MN.

Of course, it isn't so terribly important to
know all these things,
But we are curious.
Often, we find something in our ancestry search
That explains just a little bit of who we are.





No comments: