Thursday, June 28, 2012

The Storybook - Part II

I have been enjoying reading what my Mom wrote in "The Storybook."
I am sharing a few more, because I think that my family (especially) would be interested.

I remember my wedding .  .  .
October 19, 1930.  It was chilly and a few snow flurries in the air.  We
went to Fergus to have our picture taken before we went to the church.
We stopped at the hospital to see Ralph's brother Joe, who had just had an 
appendectomy.  I gave him a rose from my bouquet.  
When we got to the church a bunch of young people from Dalton 
came and started to decorate the car while we were in  the sacristy, 
getting ready to march in.  That made us laugh as when we came around
 to the front of the church to walk in, we saw them and they tried to duck behind the car.  Everything went fine, though.  On our way to the folks' for the reception, 
Ralph stopped the car and cut
the tin cans off and threw them along the road.

I've spent many happy moments with friends, in family gatherings, or sometimes
just by myself.  One happy occasion that stands out in my mind was the time....
To Ralph - One "special" time was one evening you asked if we should go to Underwood High School to hear London Parris and the Apostles - and that was really a delightful time, we both enjoyed their singing so much - Parris with his deep, deep voice and a tenor that was just beautiful.  You bought three of their records and when we got home we sat down by the stereo and played the records until almost midnight - just you and I and good music.  Happiness!

Of the various animals which have been in and out of my life, I remember _________ 
the most because. . . .
Shep.  We lived on the farm then and he was such a good dog, seemed to watch out for the kids and us and wanted to protect us.  I also remember our little dog, "Tootsie" that was my pet when I was a little girl, and a gray cat names "Moses."

Aside from the chores all youngsters do, my first job for real wages was. . .
Helping the neighbor ladies do their house cleaning, $2.00 for the job!
I worked in a radio factory in Minneapolis when I was seventeen, averaged
about $48.00 a month.  Paid my share of rom rent which was $10.00 a month 
and had to buy food and street car fare, etc.  Not much left at the end of
the month but it was a good experience.


This photo is of Mom and her brother Orion - she was about 3 years old
and the picture was taken at a photographer's in Dalton.

No comments: