Wednesday, June 13, 2012

No Stone Unturned


Lately, I have been spending my spare time at the local cemeteries!
The Otter Tail County Historical Society would like
to have photos of all the tombstones for their database.
Goodness, what a project!!
So far, I have taken over 500 pictures for the project.
I have completed 3 cemeteries:  Sarpsborg, St. Olaf and Zion
and I plan to do 3 more:  
Kvam, Ten Mile Lake, and Our Savior's.
If anyone is interested in taking pictures of
one or more cemeteries, contact the
historical society, as I am sure they would like 
all the help they can get!

Some of the stones are barely readable,
Some are laying on the ground in pieces,
and some have disappeared altogether.
Some are huge, so as not to be missed,
others are hidden beneath the peonies or trees.

I had paper and crayons along in order to (hopefully)
rub the name/date where it couldn't otherwise be read.
I wonder if anyone wondered if I was some
distraught mourner, on my hands & knees with my hands
on the stone (trying to decipher the writing)!



The above tombstone is for Anne Marie, who died as an infant.
The tombstone (in pieces) below is for a young boy, just 13 years old,
who died in 1881.


Looking at all the tombstones makes one wonder about
the life & family of the one buried there.
I was reminded of the many hardships of years ago
when there was no treatment/doctors available, 
where today some of those problems are easily remedied.
Some years saw many deaths of all ages possibly due to an epidemic.

Actually, this project is interesting.  Care to come along
when I go to the next one?


2 comments:

Melissa said...

I am fascinated by the stories a cemetery holds! I'd be game to be your side-kick. :)

Lolly said...

That would be great~~~I'll let you know when I go to Kvam to take pictures!!!