Thursday, June 21, 2012

My Great-Grandparents' Farm

Today I received in the mail some pictures from my cousin Rod 
Included were old pictures from the farm my great grandparents lived on.
After the death of my great-grandpa, his son (Rod's father) took over the farm.

 This is my great-grandparents and some of their children
sitting in front of their home, just south of Dalton.


  
I am guessing this photo is one of the older ones, since
the barn is not the same as the one below.


 Threshing time on the farm!


 This picture was taken years after the Dahlager family moved.
It's a pretty neat photo, I think - note the sagging barn roof.

 Here is the house as it looked many years after my
relatives moved.

 The old outhouse...yes, it is!

 It's a pretty fancy one - it has a lid!  
Uff-dah!!

One of the old sheds. 

What fun to see these photos!   The farmstead no longer resembles what was there when my great-grandparents came to Dalton in 1884.   One by one, the buildings have been torn down and the farm site sit vacant and lonely.

2 comments:

Melissa said...

I'm curious how people got pictures taken of their farms years ago--did they hire it done? Or was it like today, a "door to door" salesman shows up with a picture he took of your farm?

Lolly said...

I think that photographers came around and took family pictures. My grandparents had quite a few family pictures taken. And waaay back, I guess there was a photographer in downtown Dalton!.