Wednesday, June 27, 2012

The Storybook - Part I

In 1980, one of her grandchildren gave my Mom a storybook.
This storybook started out, "Once upon a time..." and then
there were different topics that Mom was to complete, telling the story of her and her family.
I am going to share a few of them here, the title page is in italics, and Mom's 
response is in bold:

Almost all parents can recall with great detail the day their children were born.  
I remember the day you were born....
Of course I remember that day you were born - all 9 of you!  When our first one was born it was quite an experience - it took a long time.   After she was born Ralph said, "Would you go through that again?"  and I answered, "Sure, I would, to get such a precious, beautiful baby." 
Yes, I went through it many times and was so thankful that all our babies were healthy, normal and very pretty.   Of course, I would be telling a lie if I said I was always thrilled (at the moment) of being pregnant again and so soon!  When I was expecting the 8th one, I hardly dared tell Ralph, but when I did, do you know what he said?   He put his arms around me and said, "That isn't so bad, is it?"  That made me happy and as soon as I got used to the idea and knew that a new life was begun within me again, I just started to plan and look forward to having another member in the family.  We loved everyone and have so many good memories that I couldn't begin to write them all down.  I feel that God meant to make me a mother, seeing He gave me so many children to love and take care of.
[note:   Baby #8 was none other than me!]

The first time I met your father...
The first time I met your father was when I was about 16 and he was at my sister's place threshing grain with his Gaar-Scott steam engine.  What else?? I thought he was really nice - and I used to think about  him once in awhile, but didn't know  him very much until 5 or 6 years after that.

I remember my first date with your father...
My dad had come to Fergus Falls to bring me home, I had been working there but was coming home to help Mama for awhile.  He stopped at the filling station for something and he (Ralph) came to the car and asked me to go with him to choir practice at Parkdale Church.  It really took me by surprise, my dad was coming back to the car and he looked at me (question) and I nodded my head.  So he came and that was our first date.

There is a medicine for every illness, but nothing is as good as MOTHER.  When I was little and didn't feel well, my mother used to. ..
It was always nice to snuggle up on Mama or Papa's lap.  Such a happy, peaceful feeling and real good medicine.  My parents were always so kind and tender.

There are too many to share on this blog, but will share a few more on another day.

No comments: