Sunday, October 30, 2011

Grandma's House

My grandparents bought this house in 1908
and moved in when my Mom was just weeks old.
I always refer to it as "Grandma's House"
because my Grandpa died before I was born.

My Mom used to talk about what a nice
place they had.
It was located just south of Dalton,
across the road from Hansel Lake.
There were beautiful pine trees in the front yard
and a white picket fence.
There were apple trees and berries,
such as currants, chokecherries and grapes
for making jams and jellies.

Going into the house through the back door
and into the lean-to
one was greeted with the aroma of
apples and plums.
This was noticeable all year long.

Coming into the large kitchen,
there was a pail of water with a
drinking ladle right next to the door.
The inside of the pail was caked with rust
from the iron in the water,
and the water had a distinct iron odor.
But, oh, the cold water still tasted good!

On the floor was a door to the cellar.
Grandma used to keep potatoes, carrots & onions
down there.
If there was a terrible storm that
threatened to turn into a tornado,
it served as a shelter for the family.

Grandma's treadle sewing machine sat in the kitchen,
and there was a long barometer on the wall
that had a picture of a ship on it.

There was no dining room, and a large
square table stood in the middle of the kitchen.
There were geraniums in the south window.

Grandma's living room was cozy.
The walls were papered and there was a Boston fern in the
northeast corner.
There was a big old upright piano on one wall.
The stove that sat in the living room was
the only source of heat for the home.

Grandma's bedroom was right off of the living room.
I remember her iron bed and the old dresser.
I remember old pictures on the wall--
One was the wedding picture of
grandma & grandpa.

We kids used to like to go upstairs.
Up the steep, narrow steps .....
At the top of the stairs was a
huge cabinet that was painted green.
I don't know what was inside of it.

There was a store room that we liked to go in.
There were boxes, and relics from
what we called the "olden days."
Aunt Esther's china doll was sitting on the shelf,
but we didn't dare touch her.
I remember a big old winter coat
hanging in there.

Esther's room was always so pretty.
It was bright and airy, with a white dresser
and white iron bed.
But what we liked was the vent in the floor.
We could look down the vent right into
the kitchen and see the ladies
bustling about, either preparing a meal
or cleaning up afterwards.

Oh, the memories of Grandma's house!
I found some old pictures of the home
and it brought to mind so many memories...
...too many to share.

I think my kids have good memories of
their grandma's house,
and I hope my grandchildren
will have good memories
of my house.
Grandmas are great,
and it's great being a Grandma!!



No comments: