Friday, May 27, 2011

Esther

This is my Aunt Esther. 
She was about 3 years old when this photo was taken,
around 1918 - at the time of World War I.

This past Monday, Esther passed away
at the age of 96.
With Esther's passing,
I do not have any more living aunts or uncles.
That is sad to me,
and of course it makes me realize
that time is passing by way too quickly.

When I was little, we used to think it was
great fun when Esther came around.
She liked us little kids, and she
often brought some little trinket for us.
She always remembered our birthdays.

When we went to visit Esther at
Grandma's place,
it was great fun to go upstairs into her room.
We thought everything was so nice...
her dresser was painted white, her iron bed was painted white,
and everything was neat and clean. 

Sometimes we would go into grandma's store room;
here were old relics, such as hats & shoes,
and boxes that held secrets that we never dared to look at.
The remains of Esther's porcelain doll was in plain
sight for us to see,
but we never dared to touch it.

Esther never married,
so I think she enjoyed the attention
we kids gave her.
And we enjoyed the attention
she gave us.

Esther was in the nursing home for quite a few years.
Her health declined.
Sometimes she seemed to know us
and would even give a little smile.
But the past few months
Esther was not the aunt that we knew as children.

People say that under the circumstances,
her death was a blessing.
Perhaps they are right.
but I am still going to miss Esther
that I knew as a child.

Esther O. Dahlager
April 1, 1915 - May 23, 2011

1 comment:

Melissa said...

So sorry, Laurie.