Monday, November 25, 2013

Thinking of Grandma

The other day as I was driving home, I was listening to
some Mozart, and I was reminded of my Grandma.
I don't know why Mozart reminded me of Grandma.
I don't even know if she liked Mozart's music.
I don't think we ever listened to Mozart at her place.

I think it was the tune that sounded more Scandinavian
that German (or was it Austrian) to me.
[And a beautiful sunset surely contributed.]

Funny how music triggers one's memory.

I don't remember grandma being active;
she was nearly blind and her hearing was impaired.

But in the car that day, I was imagining her bustling
about in her kitchen with her family.

I began thinking of my Mom and her siblings.
And Grandpa (who died before I was born).
Imagining what is was like in the "olden days" on the farm.

I had visions of her in Norway, 
tending cattle on the mountain.
The beautiful music reminded me of the beauty
of Geirangerfjord, which was near Grandma's birthplace.  

By the time I got home, the music had stopped
and my rambling mind returned to the present.

But it was a pretty good ride home.



No comments: