Sunday, May 26, 2013

Sunday Surprise


I had just returned from church this morning when the phone rang.
Someone was wondering if I had a copy of my Dalton book, 
and wondered if I would mind if they stopped to get it.
I told them where I lived and they came 
within minutes.

After I gave them the book, I asked what their
connection was to Dalton.

I never expected to hear this in her answer:

"My great-grandparents are Christopher & Sigrid Dahlager."

What?  Those are my great-grandparents!!

It was true.   Her grandmother was my grandfather's sister.
Her grandfather was my grandmother's brother.
We were doubly related!

A search for family history brought them to Dalton...
looking for the old farm place, Sarpsborg Cemetery...

I promised to share the information and photos I have,
and I hope we can keep in touch!


This is Dorothy - we share great-grandparents.
It wasn't my imagination - I thought she
definitely looked like she was related!

What a nice Sunday Surprise!!

**To my relatives who are wondering:   Her grandparents were Mons & Christine Gjerde.  Her mother was Palma Gjerde (Ruth Erickson's sister)



3 comments:

Jacob W. Zimmerli said...

You did not say what Dorothy;'s last name is. And does she live in Centerville, Iowa? I live at 302 North Grand, Chariton, Iowa, and my wife is Dagny (synstelien) Zimmerli, and is a granddaughter of Christopher and Sigrid Dahlager, also. She is also a cousin of Mons Gjerde. I don't know if you will get this because I am hard of hearing and also have macular degeneration so I cannot do the security code, and I don't know what these HTML tags are.

Lolly said...

Got your message! I have been in contact with your sister-in-law, Margaret; I remember Amnada well. Dorothy lives in Wisconsin. My grandparents were John & Elsie Dahlager. If you ask your wife, she will remember my mother, Mabel Melby.

Lolly said...

I have several posts of our relatives, and especially in 2011, there are some about the Dahlager's.