Thursday, March 23, 2017

My Mom's Poems

I came across a small notebook that was my Mom's - in this notebook she had pasted poems that touched her heart - most were inspirational, and were indicative of her faith in God.   A few poems were written by me, and a couple by my brother, Jim.   Then there were some written by Mom, in her familiar handwriting, signed and dated.    Her faith is evident in her own poems as well.    Mom didn't put her faith in the government, the neighbors, or worldly things; she shared that even as a small child, her faith was strong, and she credited her parents for the Christian home she was raised in.       Here are two of the poems written by my mom, Mabel Melby:

I was desolate and lost in sin
Then God in mercy took me in
By giving His Son to die for me
By shedding His blood on Calvary's tree.
He redeemed me and now I  see
The blessed thought that now I'm free
He took all my sins away
and now I live for Him each day.  (Nov. 1992)

"Winter Morning"
This morning through my window
I can see the new white snow.
Everything around so peaceful
In the dawning's rosy glow.

The trees were all so frosty white
The sky was clear and blue,
God gave to us this beauty bright
For our enjoyment too!

My cares and worries seems far away
as I gazed at the peaceful sight
It seemed that God had cleansed the world
and made it pure and white.

Mom lived to the age of 102 and even wrote a few poems around the time of her 100th birthday.


No comments: