Tuesday, July 23, 2013

Can you Believe it??


A couple of years ago, I was looking for some memento from Dalton
from years past.    I browsed on e-bay and there were 2 old postcards
for sale from Dalton, Minnesota.

This is one of the postcards I received - I thought it was kind of cute -
and then I turned it over. . . .


The postcard, postmarked from Dalton in 1915
was addressed to my Great- Aunt, Amanda Dahlager!
Isn't that almost "weird"???

It was sent to her while she was in Parkers Prairie,
teaching school at the time.
It was sent by her sister, but I can't make out 
the signature to know for sure which sister sent it,
But the note says:

"Hello Sis Amanda
Don't let this shock you
Clara just phoned over and said I should
sent you a card and let you know that she is
coming to see you next Thursday, Sept. 30
Palma is to take this card this morning so you get it in time."

By the way, the other postcard I purchased was
also addressed to Amanda Dahlager.

Funny the things that come your way!


5 comments:

Zimmy's Place said...

Hi, Lolly! Amanda Dahlager was my grandma (Selma Amanda (Dahlager) Synstelien. That means we share a great-grandmother. I'm Dagny (Synstelien) Zimmerli's #4 son, now enjoying life in Georgia. This week my wife and I are on vacation in the mountains of north Georgia, sitting by a lake on top of a mountain. When Grandma Synstelien came with us on vacation when I was growing up in Minnesota, we would always hear stories of the relatives, and mom would talk about times growing up in Dalton and Ashby. It just seemed right to do some genealogy work on that side of our family while sitting by the lake. Thanks for the pictures and reminders and patching some holes in my memory!

Zimmy's Place said...

I would love to get a scan of the other postcard to send these two to my mom. She is living in Chariton, Iowa now. She and my dad are fine - he'll be 88 in August and she'll be 87 in December. Son #5 just lives a few blocks away from them. They moved there a couple of years ago.

Lolly said...

I will be happy to scan the other postcard. Also, I have done the history of our family and can certainly share information with you.

Lolly said...

When I picked up the package with the postcards at the post office, I opened them right there. I was so surprised to see they were sent to Amanda Dahlager! I think the postmaster thought I was going to faint or something! I went to tell my mom, who was about 100 years old at the time, and she cried when I said they had been sent to Amanda. I remember Amanda, and some of her children. I don't remember meeting your mother, but my older brother remembers her.

Zimmy's Place said...

Wonderful. My, but you are quick! I just came back and saw that you had scanned the other postcard. Thanks!