Wednesday, February 22, 2012

MELBYVALD

MELBYVALD
This is Melbyvald near Verdal, Norway.
The house is the building with the little roof over the entrance.
One of the Melby sons is in front.  On the left of the house
is possibly a barn, and yes, it is attached to the house, but
I am told this was common practice years ago.
The home was torn down in the 1950's.

My grandpa, Gunerius Melby was born here in 1854.

Gunerius' parents were Johannes Baardsen & Magnhil Rasmusdatter.
Johannes was a farmer, but he earned extra money building houses.
(Carpentry has been prevalent in the Melby family for many years.)

One day, Johannes went off on a building job and didn't 
come home when expected.
The family went to where he was working and
found him dead.
The date of his death was April 29, 1888 and he was 70 yrs. old.

When doing my genealogy research, I found the record
of his death and the cause of death was listed as:
"constipation."

Really?   Did they find him dead in the outhouse??
Perhaps it was  a bowel obstruction?
Or  was the family asked if he had any problems lately,
and the wife told them that he had been having trouble with irregularity?


2 comments:

Melissa said...

Wow--I guess I'll be sure to eat my prunes.

Stina said...

The store house (to the right in the picture) still stands. Here we call it "stabbur". That is where they stored the food back in the days. When the old house were torn down, they probably put my great grandmothers things in the store house. And they have been there since... That is where I am finding all this old photos.
My dad has restored the whole house this last two summers. So it is looking quite different again. But the store house is the same :)