Friday, November 25, 2011

Sticking with Traditions

Today I began decorating for Christmas.
Oh, I know - it's early,
but next week is going to be extremely busy.
It's actually later than you think:  the first Sunday in Advent
 is just two days away!

I thought maybe this year I would go out
and buy new ornaments - maybe update
a little bit - be a little more "modern."

Then I started looking at all my decorations.
Some of them can certainly be thrown away!
Some of them have lost their sparkle,
and some are plain falling apart.

But then I see an ornament that was my Mom's.
Must keep.

I come across little birds in a nest
that was given to me by the
Sunday School kids
at Hope Free Lutheran many years ago.
Must keep.

Then, there is one that Pam & Brian
gave me that they bought in Italy.
Must keep.

"I love Grandma" says  one from Drew.
A definite keeper.

There are ornaments that are from
Dodie and Kathy,
and some from Mom & Dad.
Some from my kids.
Must keep.

How about the ornament that Pam
made in kindergarten?
The one Lee made in kindergarten?
The one Amy made in kindergarten?
Must, must, must keep.

And so it went...
I only threw away the broken ornaments.
I will continue using my "old" ones,
keeping with my own tradition.
The memories -- and the tree
are beautiful!

Kindergarten projects!
The ornament on the left is a styrofoam ball with little pieces of
fabric glued on, and it was made by Pam.
The little pom-pom bear, with its wiggly eyes,  is the one Lee made.
Amy made the ornament on the right out of toothpicks
and a Christmas card.

This was one of Mom's ornaments.

1 comment:

Melissa said...

A box of ornaments (or several boxes!) hold many, many memories! Fun post!