Saturday, September 17, 2011

50 Per cent Improved

I have suffered from hearing loss
since I was a small child.
It has worsened some as
I have gotten older.
Whether it is caused by
genetics
or from having measles
has not been determined.

I didn't have problems hearing
my teachers in school;
I don't have problems hearing
the Sunday sermon.
I usually don't have problems on
the phone.
Some one-on-one conversations
go pretty well,
but some don't go well at all.
I can hear birds singing,
and babies crying.
I can tell when someone is
singing off-tune.
Whispering?  Forget it!
Meetings?  Very difficult.
Voices from another room?   It's just noise.

So ...(drum roll) I have invested in a hearing aid.
Just for one ear, mind you.
The cost of one was more than $1,500,
so for now, I will have to be
50 per cent improved.

With the hearing aid,
I practically have to learn to listen.
A person with hearing loss
often avoids talking to people,
sometimes just tuning them out
rather than asking someone to repeat.
A person with hearing loss hates
having to ask "what?" too many times,
and will finally just give up,
since that is easier.

The first day I wore my  hearing aid:

I wondered if there was something
wrong with my car - I could hear all kinds
of rumbles and rattles!

I walked downtown and could hear

someone arguing in their home.
(No, I don't know what they were arguing about)

I noticed that I could hear someone
talking to me from across the yard.
and I could understand what was being said.

I know this is the norm for most of you,
but for those of us with hearing loss,
this is big.

Some days I forget to put in my
new hearing aid...
I don't wear it when I am home alone.
I haven't been wearing it to church on Sunday.
I also don't like to wear it in noisy stores,
such as Wal-Mart.
I have lived in a quiet world for a long time!

If I am in a restaurant, I turn it off - too noisy.
Paper rustling drives me crazy.

There will still be times I may have
to say, "what?"
But hopefully, not nearly as often.

So for right now, I'm only 50 percent improved,
but it is a nice improvement!

No comments: