Friday, June 24, 2011

Halldis

A number of years ago, I visited Norway.
Besides seeing all the wonderful, beautiful, sights
of mountains, fjords, & waterfalls,
I met some relatives!

Halldis was my grandmother's niece.
Halldis' mother was grandma's half-sister.

When we got to Norddal by ferry
we disembarked at the foot of Sylte Mountain.
Here was Sylte Kirke (church)

It was here, in the cemetery, that I met Halldis.
When I met her, it was as if I knew her aldready,
even though I couldn't understand a word she said
(I don't speak/understand Norwegian)

She pointed out the graves of some of my ancestors
and we went inside the church.
(Her daughter translated for us.)
In the church was the very font
that my grandma was baptized at.
The altar railing was that same as it was in
1884 when grandma knelt for her confirmation vows.
The pews had rosemaled doors on them;
years ago, family names were printed on them,
designating "their" pew.

When my grandmother was 7, her mother was buried here.
When she was 19, her father was buried next to her.

After our tour of the cemetery and church,
we went on to the Gjerde farm, where my grandma grew up.
Halldis's mother also grew up here.
We enjoyed a huge feast and visited, with the
help of the translators.

Halldis showed me a book that my great uncle,
Rev. Mons Gjerde had written.
She showed me a shoe that was found in the
ruins of the foundation of the house where grandma lived,
with it's little nails visible in the sole.


We exchanged a few details about each other
and before you knew it, it was time to leave.

Halldis cried when we said "good-bye"
It was sad, since I felt like I was leaving someone
I had known for a long time;
I can't explain that.

A year or so later, Halldis visited Minnesota.
My Mom and her sisters had a great time with her,
reminiscing - and they were even speaking Norske!
When they left, Halldis cried.
It was obvious she had a tender heart.

A few years ago, we got word that Halldis died.

I'm so glad I had a chance to meet her...twice!
Here are the Gjerde relatives.
Halldis is at the bottom left.
At the bottom right is Trond.
He was not related, but he is a friend of
my niece & husband, and he was our chauffeur.

1 comment:

Melissa said...

The children and I have read several books about Norway, through various eras. It is a land rich in history--fascinating to know so many of these old, old buildings not only still stand, but still are in use!