Sunday, August 2, 2015

The Dead Church?

Someone recently told me "our church is dead!"  I asked what she meant, and the reply was that we don't shout "Amen!"  "We don't dance around in the pews," plus a few other illustrations.  My first response was, "Well, we are Scandinavians and we are Lutherans, after all!"    [I made a feeble attempt at a little humor in my response. ]    At least she didn't say we were a bunch of non-believers!

But I started thinking about this, wondering what I should have said.   An "Amen" at worship service is certainly not "wrong,"  and it is certain that our joy in the Lord should be outwardly obvious to others.   But are we wrong if we don't shout out an "Amen?" Are we wrong if we don't dance in the pews?    Are there not many ways to worship?   God looks at our heart - while we often look at outward appearances.

When we were growing up, Sunday worship was very reverent - and more structured than the Sunday worship today.   The altar area was a place of confession, communion, marriage and baptism.  You arrived at worship, sat quietly in the pews (it was a time of meditation) until the service began )and and then you sat quietly, too. )  I'm sure grandpa & grandma would have been mortified if someone had started "dancing for joy" in the pews!    As a rule, Norwegian/Lutheran parishioners would not want to call attention to themselves in God's house.

Some churches have bands; they have loud, fast music; some hymns songs can barely be differentiated from rock music.    Is this wrong?    I don't think it is  "wrong" if it is done with sincere worship of God.   But it is not the only way to worship.  Congregations and denominations differ in their preference of worship structure.    But sometimes I wonder if  worship  is becoming more about "me" than about God?    Are we there to be entertained?   Are we there to entertain?   Are people staying home because they don't find it fun?    Worship should be enjoyed, it should be happy, but I am pretty sure it is not about me, but rather about God and Me!

However we chose to worship, remember the One we are there to worship; give Him the glory, quietly...or not.  

1 comment:

Melissa said...

Excellent post, Laurie!